Jim grew up in Montreal and obtained a PhD in chemistry from McGill University. Knowing he was never going to win the Nobel Prize he went into teaching in BC. His “career” eventually brought him to being Dean of Science at Malaspina University-College in Nanaimo (now known as VIU). He took very early retirement and has been fighting traditional Christian theology ever since. He is a great fan of the Hebrew Scriptures, particularly Deuteronomy, he finds his theology to be aligned with that which Jesus as a Jewish mystic and teacher most probably would have actually advocated, and he rejects Christology. Notwithstanding, he attends a very high Anglo-Catholic Church because it “works”.
What does an ancient text in the Hebrew Scriptures have to offer us today?
The first of a three part look at where Christianity might be going.
In the third installment of Redemption Week, guest author Jim Baxter argues that we don't need the traditional God of religion to find 'The Land of Milk and Honey'.
Unfortunately our model of God stalled out. Christianity, Judaism and Islam today are mere reflections of human consciousness as it was in the long distant past and Western religion has been stuck in an intellectual dead-end for millennia now. Even so called post-modernist criticism still talks about Grace and Sin and Forgiveness and being with God and not being with God. Even the most “modern” churches refer to God’s will and we pray to God and worship God. To what end?
- Agreed Mary and thanks for opening the space to clarify that one point. Of course this entire endeavour was filled… Written by Juma Wood Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Chela, your willingness to look unflinchingly inside, and then articulate that reality in the world, inspires and amazes me. I… Written by Karen Kristjanson I Heart Beams and Struts: A Eulogy
- Just wanted to say: Writing actually is a verb! And as Ishmael Reed said "Writin is Fightin." A good kind… Written by Mary W. Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Well that was honest! Great to read these various un-cloaked perspectives. It feels refreshing to see a take on an… Written by Sarah Olson Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Well, I'm sorry that Beams is wrapping up, but excited for all of you. You've done something amazing here, make… Written by Paul Duke Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Leah, I'm with you here- "Sometimes it takes a healthy dose of debate to decide what we need to do.… Written by Trevor Malkinson Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- It has been enlightening to follow along on your coattails, watching the ride from the sidelines. Everything you said is… Written by Leah Adams Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- This is beautiful Chela, it brought me to tears. Thank you for all your wonderful writing on Beams and Struts! Written by Chloe Dierkes I Heart Beams and Struts: A Eulogy
Last 10 tweets from beamsandstruts:
People talking about '@beamsandstruts':