Living in the information age has most of us doing mental juggling routines as a matter of course. Are we more distracted and fragmented? Or is this good exercise for us?
A brief excerpt from Ghostwritten, David Mitchell's debut novel. Describing the personalities of the various London Underground lines.
A short piece addressed to men: do you ask women questions? If not, why not? What is there to be gained from doing so?
Mark Kurlansky writes books about how food has influenced human history. And other stuff. This is a brief appreciation of what he does, in point form.
A short except from the book Touching: the Human Significance of the Skin, by Ashley Montagu, listing twenty separate and distinct functions of human skin.
Beams and Struts launched one year ago. Here are a few reflections from one Beams contributor and editor on what a person learns from a year of doing these things.
Ivan E Coyote is a spoken word artist, novelist, storyteller and columnist. Her totems include Bill Cosby, writers Barbara Gowdy, Sherman Alexie and Tom Spanbauer, musicians Veda Hille, Laurie Anderson and Rufus Wainwright.
The Harry Potter books. The Da Vinci Code. The Twilight series. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and sequels. In the age of instant messages, Facebook, tweets, texting, how did these thick genre novels by unknown writers reach people on such an unprecedented scale?
A brilliant bit of... satire? Scholarship? Hard to categorize. But a couple of very clever writers wrote this piece, as if the HBO show The Wire were actually an unjustly obscure Victorian novel.
- Tom, great to see this inquiry out in the world! Thank you for asking these questions of us all. Loved… Written by Kristina King Meta-Sangha, Infra-Sangha: Or, Who is this "We" Kimo Sabe?
- I love this conversation because I’m involved with the Integral Center in Boulder (formerly Boulder Integral). We have a mission… Written by Michael Porcelli Meta-Sangha, Infra-Sangha: Or, Who is this "We" Kimo Sabe?
- I like the infra-sangha Tom! (thanks for making a link to our article) With love, Ria Written by Ria Baeck Meta-Sangha, Infra-Sangha: Or, Who is this "We" Kimo Sabe?
- Great Job! Written by Bonnitta Roy Meta-Sangha, Infra-Sangha: Or, Who is this "We" Kimo Sabe?
- David thanks, that's a fantastic quote, really captures in pithy form many of points being made in the essay. Tim,… Written by Trevor Malkinson Rhizomatic for the People- Notes on Networks and Decentralization
- One more resource to add regarding Rhizome. A friend just turned me on to this, a short book posted online… Written by David MacLeod Rhizomatic for the People- Notes on Networks and Decentralization
- Thanks Tim, I should probably read that Smil book. We should also throw Dr. Charles Hall's name into the mix.… Written by David MacLeod Rhizomatic for the People- Notes on Networks and Decentralization
- Hi Trevor/David I'd have to add Vaclav Smil's 2005 book Energy at the Crossroads to the reading list. For mine… Written by Tim Winton Rhizomatic for the People- Notes on Networks and Decentralization
Last 10 tweets from beamsandstruts:
People talking about '@beamsandstruts':