Scott Payne has been involved in politics and political activism in some fashion for the past decade ranging from work on poverty issues, increasing accessibility to education, increasing voter participation, and promoting energy efficiency and environmental issues. Currently, Scott is largely focused on defining embodying a more vibrant sense of citizenship and civic engagement in Calgary, Alberta.
In addition to his work with Beams and Struts, Scott is a fellow with the Canadian Council for Democracy, writing at the Council's site the Commons on Canadian politics and culture. Scott also writes about political issues at The League of Ordinary Gentlemen where he is a contributor and founding member.
You know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words. Well, this picture left me speechless this morning.
What if you sat down for your nightly does of news and current events and saw something like this. Think you'd tune in more often?
A look at the use of crescendos in music and what they might just do for us spiritually.
Why continuing to clean up some of your less than inclusive childhood slang is about more than just political correctness.
On August 22, 2011, Canada was gripped by the death of federal political leader Jack Layton. What does the message Layton left us mean one year later?
A look at the latest viral internet video and how it manages to upend some of the dominant myths of modern life.
What does Stephen Hawking have to say about alien life?
Ever wonder why your fingers and toes "wrinkle" after being in water for a while? Here's an answer that is more intellectually satisfying than, "Just 'cuz."
Why are most political advertisements so bad and what makes for a great one?
What is social swarming and how is it effecting our world?
Think the effects of climate change are something we'll feel in the future?
When was the last time you sat and just watched clouds float by?
Here are some of Beams and Struts favourite picks for Undead songs.
A good ending can make or break a work of art. Here are four that blew my mind.
What story does the new Obama campaign video and slogan, "Forward", tell the country?
Can something as simple and cliched as hope transform our politics, and thereby our world?
Think that the only worthwhile thing that George Lucas ever gave us was Star Wars? Think again.
What if the financial sector was a democratic space. Would we have had the sort of melt down that occurred in 2008?
What does the coming battle over the latest piece of US legislation to police the internet, CISPA, tell us about the SOPA victory?
- Tom, great to see this inquiry out in the world! Thank you for asking these questions of us all. Loved… Written by Kristina King Meta-Sangha, Infra-Sangha: Or, Who is this "We" Kimo Sabe?
- I love this conversation because I’m involved with the Integral Center in Boulder (formerly Boulder Integral). We have a mission… Written by Michael Porcelli Meta-Sangha, Infra-Sangha: Or, Who is this "We" Kimo Sabe?
- I like the infra-sangha Tom! (thanks for making a link to our article) With love, Ria Written by Ria Baeck Meta-Sangha, Infra-Sangha: Or, Who is this "We" Kimo Sabe?
- Great Job! Written by Bonnitta Roy Meta-Sangha, Infra-Sangha: Or, Who is this "We" Kimo Sabe?
- David thanks, that's a fantastic quote, really captures in pithy form many of points being made in the essay. Tim,… Written by Trevor Malkinson Rhizomatic for the People- Notes on Networks and Decentralization
- One more resource to add regarding Rhizome. A friend just turned me on to this, a short book posted online… Written by David MacLeod Rhizomatic for the People- Notes on Networks and Decentralization
- Thanks Tim, I should probably read that Smil book. We should also throw Dr. Charles Hall's name into the mix.… Written by David MacLeod Rhizomatic for the People- Notes on Networks and Decentralization
- Hi Trevor/David I'd have to add Vaclav Smil's 2005 book Energy at the Crossroads to the reading list. For mine… Written by Tim Winton Rhizomatic for the People- Notes on Networks and Decentralization
Last 10 tweets from beamsandstruts:
People talking about '@beamsandstruts':