TJ is a Vancouver based writer, performer and director of new theatre pieces. He's participated in ninety or so theatre and comedy festivals in Canada, the US, Australia and the UK. He has six published plays and a humour book. He's also interested in movies, literature, television, comic books, history, science, spirituality, tai chi, technology, food and the Enneagram. He generally juggles a dozen projects at a time. He thinks more people should read the books of Barbara Ehrenreich, Gabor Mate, David Mitchell, Dan Savage, Mark Kurlansky, Miriam Toews and Brian Michael Bendis.
Gabor Mate is a doctor and best-selling author. His totems are Gautama Buddha, Yeshua (aka Jesus), Karl Marx, Albert Einstein and Sigmund Freud. Beethoven's in there too.
Famous for booze-soaked ballads in the 70s and creative musical weirdness ever since, the legend is now sober.
A black diamond examination of the intersection of these two systems.
Certain parts of your brain become less active, with interesting results.
At their best, musical Sevens infect their audiences with a joy so full and pure that it touches on the divine.
Do you have a blog you've been neglecting? It's probably happening to you.
This charity pays fair trade prices to Ugandan women for bead jewelry.
What were people listening to then? Will you recognize the songs or the artists?
There's a great deal of significance to this thing we use as a quick, easy reference.
What function do they serve? Sandra Maitri offers answers in her book The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram.
Songs from artists various Beams readers listed as being underrated.
What exactly is going on in our heads when we give in to a craving?
It wasn't just one mind that birthed that classic movie scene.
What does it mean to actually "think"? How often do we do it?
About Beams and Struts, collective intelligence, and why this is the most exciting time to be alive in human history.
This meme exploded (in the good sense) and then exploded (in the bad sense) in about a month. Here's what happened.
Sixes question authority, look for guidance, play in established musical styles and defend the underdog.
Are you new to Beams and Struts? If so, welcome! And here are links to a variety of our best loved and most read articles.
A short summary of something this big bad corp is trying to splooge into our bodies.
- Here's an interesting interview on this topic with Gabor Mate called "Capitalism Makes Us Crazy". "Humans have always used drugs,… Written by Trevor Malkinson Darrin Drda Part IV- Global Addiction and the Road to Recovery
- This interview has resonated with me deeply. I am an artist and it deepens my realization of where my creativity… Written by Denny Thomas Hübl: Shadow Work in Evolutionary Spirituality
- David, I love this idea of the "crazy quilt" "the idea that Transition Initiatives behave like a "Crazy Quilt" -… Written by Trevor Malkinson Darrin Drda Part III- The 3 Afflictions and Their Antidotes
- David, thanks, glad you enjoyed it. I really appreciate you translating some of the core tenents/philosophies of the transition movement… Written by Trevor Malkinson Darrin Drda Part I- Peril and Promise
- I enjoyed the discussion in the podcast of Joanna Macy's three sources of transformation: holding actions, structural transformations, shifts in… Written by David MacLeod Darrin Drda Part III- The 3 Afflictions and Their Antidotes
- "The only myth that is going to be worth talking about in the immediate future is one that is talking… Written by David MacLeod Darrin Drda Part II- Planetary Initiation and Participatory Reality
- Thank you Chris and Trevor for sharing this podcast. "The Promise and the Peril" This is a great framing, and… Written by David MacLeod Darrin Drda Part I- Peril and Promise
- Chris, Your article/interview with Thomas was wonderful. He visited One Spirit last fall asnd since then a few of us… Written by Lynne Feldman Thomas Hübl: Shadow Work in Evolutionary Spirituality
Last 10 tweets from beamsandstruts:
People talking about '@beamsandstruts':